Home / Ask a Lawyer

Ask a Lawyer

Ask a Lawyer

Oklahoma Lawyer Bill Vassar answers your Frequently Asked Questions

If I live outside Oklahoma City, will you be able to come to me?

Even though my office is located in northwest Oklahoma City, my practice is statewide. Of course we will come to you, wherever you live in Oklahoma.

Do I have to hire you if I take you up on your free consultation?

No. This is a no obligation consultation. Everyday we receive inquiries from Oklahomans just like you, who think they may need the help of a personal injury attorney or a workers’ compensation lawyer in Oklahoma.

How do you charge clients?

We work on a contingent fee system. You are not charged a fee unless we make a recovery for you. This means you pay no money up front. We put in all the expense, time and energy your case requires without any upfront money paid by you.

How long does it take to reach a settlement?

This is our most-often-asked question. Each case is different. We will not make any attempt to settle or try your case until you have completed all the treatment you need, and we have fully worked your case to our satisfaction. Obviously, complicated fact situations or treatment options will extend the length your case. As a general rule only, a case can take from four months to slightly more than one year.

Workers’ Compensation in Oklahoma – Frequently Asked Questions:

Can I still file a workers’ compensation claim if I’ve been laid off or fired?

Absolutely. If you have reported an injury, your employment status does not matter. However, there are time limitations if you have been fired or laid off. Call us today to make sure you are within those time limitations.

When will my temporary checks start to cover expenses after I’ve filed a workmans comp claim?

First, your treating doctor must take you off work. We know the importance of receiving your checks and work to start your benefits as quickly as possible.

When we reach a settlement in my work injury claim, will my medical be left open?

There are several options to the final conclusion of your case after you have received all the care you are entitled to. If your case goes to trial, the law allows an injured worker to request a hearing on re-opening for a period of time. Mediation and settlement negotiations are also an option and really depend on your preference after consulting with us.

Personal Injury in Oklahoma – Frequently Asked Questions:

Do I have a case?

We won’t know until we talk with you and gather some basic facts. Like doctors who need to examine a patient before making a diagnosis, we need to talk with you and examine the circumstances of your accident. That’s why we offer a free consultation.

What do I do if an insurance adjuster offers me a settlement?

It’s always in your best interest to contact an attorney first. Adjusters work for the insurance company – not for you – and their job is to settle the matter for the lowest possible expense to the company. A lawyer’s expertise is vital for accident victims when an adjuster is trying to settle a case.

Should I give a recorded statement to the insurance company?

No. We recommend that you talk with a lawyer first before you talk with an insurance company, even your own.

What is the value of my injury case?

This is the most commonly asked question and the most difficult question to answer. In general, personal injury cases have five categories of recovery: 1) Pain and suffering; 2) Past lost wages or salary; 3) Loss of future earning capacity; 4) Past medical bills, and 5) Future medical bills.

Insurance companies and their lawyers attack claims in each of these categories. That’s why it’s important to hire an attorney who is familiar with these types of cases and handles them regularly.

Can my case be resolved without filing a lawsuit?

Yes. Many cases are resolved without filing a lawsuit or in the pre-litigation stage.

If you still have questions regarding your worker compensation or personal injury case, give us a call. We’ll come to you, and we’ll fight for you. Get help now at (800) 522-9443.